Irion County is south west of the geographic center of Texas and was created in 1889 from Tom Green County. The estimated population today is approximately 1,500 and the county consists of of 1,052 square miles of territory. Almost all of this is land with only 0.07 square miles of water. Ranching has traditionally been an important business for Irion County but in 1928 oil was discovered. The county is named after Robert Anderson Irion, a secretary of state of the Republic of Texas.
Today the county seat is Mertzon, with a population of around 750 is the county’s largest settlement. However, the original county seat was Sherwood until 1936.